Monday, October 11, 2010

Hodgepodge

It was a beautiful weekend here - very hot and sunny days, but it is getting dark very early now and it is chilly at night. I'm a little sad because I'm one of the only people who likes spring/late winter better than fall. It's not that there is anything wrong with fall, but I love days that get longer and the promise of summer, not the gathering gloom of winter. Enough gloom though, because there are a few things that I am loving right now.

Hula Girl Sugar is delicious on my morning coffee. I love the strong vanilla flavor! It may have been a touristy gimmick that drew my eye toward it in the gift shop, but I'm a convert. No matter how surly my company is in the morning, I can close my eyes as I drink this and pretend I am back on Maui. My surly company loves a little of this sugar sprinkled over greek yogurt with frozen blueberries :)
My morning routine is pretty minimal these days - wash my face, lots of sunscreen, a little concealer and blush as needed, and then a little something pretty :) This is the perfect sheer candy apple color. I could use a few other instant pretty things - any recommendations?

Mcintosh apples are my favorites. Their crispy sweet tart flavor is simply the best in my book for cooking and eating. I will dice one up and toss with cinnamon and sugar, then bake in the oven for 15 minutes at about 350. This beautiful image is courtesy of New York Apple Association© New York Apple Association
I like to try one new recipe every week. It is fun for me to expand the repertoire, and I think it makes life more interesting for the other folks in our house when we have different things to eat. So, in the spirit of fall, I'm going to try this recipe, courtesy of Smitten Kitchen. Sounds delicious!
What are you looking forward to this week?


1 comment: