Friday, September 10, 2010

Taming the Chaos


When K first came home from the hospital, the only evidence of her presence outside of the nursery was a little stack of receiving blankets next to the couch, and a little canvas bin with diapers and such in our windowseat. Times have changed. Not only can she climb on almost all the living room furniture, it looks like her toys are reproducing each night. Our living room is blessed with high ceilings and abundant light, but cursed with absolutely no built in storage or closet to contain her mess.
Courtesy of the Container Store and Ballard Designs, there is a little more living in the living room, now that it looks a little nicer.
I've instituted a five bin rotation of toys. Each day, K gets an new bin filled with a variety of toys and books. It makes picking up after her so much easier, and she doesn't seem to notice that she's only playing with a fifth of her toys.
Now that she can touch everything, I've had to move books and remotes to a safe space. That's where the Ballard Designs shelves come in handy. I will post a picture, but they hang out right over one couch, and provide a safe space for the books I want to read - and another place to display photos of her. I'm ordering two more to be installed further down the wall. I shopped around for a while at Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel and West Elm before going with Ballard. I loved that they don't charge tax if shipping to California, and thought they were the best value around.
How do you stay organized? Any other toy/clutter containment ideas? Her bedroom and bookshelves are a whole different story :)




1 comment:

  1. How do I stay organized? I don't. But I try. I think it's about to get a little harder with the toys and stuff...thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete