Thursday, November 13, 2008

Sweets to the Sweet


One of my coworkers is well-deserving of a sweet treat. She's the kind of person who always suprises you with treating you to coffee or bringing in little treats from Trader Joe's. She treated me to lunch last week to celebrate making it through the first trimester, so I wanted to do something to thank her. So, I'm baking some delicious brownies to leave on her chair tomorrow morning. She has a husband and son at home, so I know she won't be forced to eat them all herself.


These are some of the easiest and most delicious brownies ever. The recipe is from the yellow Gourmet Magazine cookbook, and they are supposedly Katharine Hepburn's family recipe. They are squat and smushy, but really chocolatey and an absolute cinch to bake:


Katharine Hepburn's Brownies


Ingredients


1 stick unsalted butter

2 oz unsweetened chocolate (I'm generally lazy and use a bittersweet Valrohna bar)

1 cup sugar

1/2 tsp. vanilla

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 tsp. salt

1 cup walnuts (I omit these because I don't have any in the house).


Preheat oven to 325.


Melt the chocolate and butter either in a double boiler or the microwave in a large bowl.


Mix the sugar, eggs and vanilla into the butter/chocolate mixture.


Add flour and salt. Stir well.


Pour into 8"x8" buttered baking dish and bake for approximately 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment