Monday, April 13, 2009

The Most Delicious Quiche

Remember a few days ago, when I had really delicious quiche for lunch? (I'm sorry, my life is really boring these days, so I actually do remember with quite a lot of specificity)! I've been thinking about quiche, and wondering about it, because it has a lot going for it - namely you prepare it in advance and reheat it - and it's perfect for lunch with a small salad! This is the quiche that I made for Easter brunch, and it was so easy and so delicious. The recipe comes from the big yellow Gourmet Magazine Cookbook. (If you don't own this book, you may want to consider it, as it is a great resource!)

Ultimate Quiche
12 pieces bacon, cut crosswise into 3/4 inch wide pieces
1 sheet frozen puff pastry (from the 17 oz package - Pepperidge Farm makes a good one) THAWED!
6 large eggs
2 (10 oz) cartons creme fraiche (delicious French sour cream - Trader Joe's sells it, as does Whole Foods). You can also use full fat sour cream, or a mixture of full fat plain yogurt and sour cream. I really wouldn't try to make this low fat.
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg ( I don't grate my own nutmeg, and I think the little spice jar nutmeg works just fine).
1 cup coarsely grated Gruyere cheese.
  1. Put a baking sheet in the middle oven rack and preheat to 375.
  2. Cook bacon in large sauce pan over moderate heat until crisp (stirring occasionally) about 10 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and place on paper towel lined plate to drain. Roll out puff pastry on lightly floured surface into a square. Fit it into a deep pie dish (9 inches or so) or a special quiche pan, and trim off excess.
  3. Whisk eggs in separate bowl until well-combined, then whisk in creme fraiche, salt and nutmeg just until smooth. (Pour filling through fine mesh sieve into prepared crust - I skipped this and it was delicious too). Sprinkle bacon evenly over filling and top with grated Gruyere.
  4. Bake quiche on baking sheet until center is set (it doesn't jiggle when shaken) for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Transfer to rack to cool, and serve warm or at room temperature. I reheated mine the next day by placing in 200 degree oven for about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment