Thursday, April 23, 2009

Yummy Butterscotch Pudding

(Image courtesy of YumSugar)

I mentioned last Friday that I had made a very easy butterscotch pudding, and while I was too lazy to photograph it, I did want to share the recipe. Pudding used to be a little scary for me, because egg custards make me nervous. You're always walking a fine line between curdled nastiness and delicious pudding. But, egg custards are delicious. However, sometimes you want pudding without worrying about eggs. This pudding is from Gourmet Magazine's February 2009 edition, and it is easy and delicious. It's a perfect hot weather dinner dessert, because you could make it earlier in the day, chill in individual dishes and then just take out to come to room temperature as you are serving the main course.

Butterscotch Pudding

1/2 cup dark brown sugar (you really need the flavor)
2 TBS plus 2 tsp cornstarch
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 TBS unsalted butter, cut into little bits
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

  1. Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and a pinch of salt in a heavy saucepan. Then whisk in the milk and cream over medium heat.
  2. Allow mixture to come to a boil over the medium heat, stirring/whisking constantly. After the mixture comes to a boil, whisking constantly for one minute.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Pour into bowl or bowls, and cover the top of the puddings with buttered wax or parchment paper. Chill until cold, at least 1.5 hours.
  4. You could garnish with whipped cream and shaved dark chocolate, or fresh berries.

As you can tell, Baby Icing is taking her sweet time. So, today was household chores day. I hung some curtains in our loft, and finally polished a mountain of silver...since I am pretty sure I won't be doing that before the next time we have a fancy family dinner. Then I made some more soup to freeze. I'm trying to be patient, and despite being a little uncomfortable, I'm kind of enjoying puttering around the house and taking care of little projects here and there. It also helps that I know she's going to be coaxed out on Monday, if she still refuses to come on her own. I'm getting lots of check in telephone calls from friends and family, so I'm feeling fine. Now, I think I may treat myself to a nap...no point in overdoing it - right?

No comments:

Post a Comment