Thursday, January 29, 2009

Adventures in Glyphs


My Junior League project is a 6 week semester (fall and spring) where we put on fun reading activities and crafts for children who have some way or another become involved with our County's Dept of Children and Family Services. The kids are an amazing range of ages, talents and cultures.


This "semester" my group is going first, because I was a little worried about not being able to do anything for the last ones in March. So, we are presenting this coming Saturday. I LOVE children's books, and while totally devoid of any artistic talent, I actually really like arts and crafts. Our book is about a little girl in Guatemala who helps her grandmother with weaving. So, we are making some pot holders and coloring some Mayan designs. So, I was able to pick up two really neat coloring books on Amazon that have beautiful Mayan illustrations.


I've only been to Central America once - on a trip to Belize when I was in high school, but this project piqued my curiousity, and I'd certainly like to visit again. Now, just cross your fingers I can make it through two hours of arts, crafts and reading without getting totally wiped out!

No comments:

Post a Comment