Monday, January 12, 2009

Delicious!


I'm pleased with this pasta sauce. It is the perfect combination of easy and delicious. It started because I'd been worrying all day about how not to waste the homemade pesto that I defrosted and used yesterday. I didn't finish it, and hate throwing away pesto. But, I'm trying to make healthy choices, and I didn't want to be stuck and tempted into just eating pesto pasta for the next few days.

So, when I came home, I got out my cookbooks and started thinking. What if I added the pesto into an easy marinara sauce, and added lots of tomatoes and some other veggies? Well, the answer is delicious! Here it is:

Pesto Marinara Sauce

1 small onion, minced
2 carrots, minced
2 ribs of celery, minced
1 tsp red pepper flakes (or add more)
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 tbs olive oil
2 tbs pesto (or more)

1. In large sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium high. Blitz onion, celery and carrots in food processor until minced. Add them to the olive oil and saute 3 minutes or until soft. Add red pepper flakes and stir, 1 minute.

2. Add crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and pesto. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.

I liked this with whole wheat angel hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment