Thursday, January 22, 2009

Reads


People keep telling me that I'll never have time to read a book again once Baby Icing arrives. I understand they are trying to prepare me, but really - never again? I remember my mum reading while we played at the beach or at the park...but I digress. In the event that I won't read anything other than Goodnight Moon for the next 5 years (I can see how you wouldn't do a lot of reading with pre-elementary school children)...here are some books that I've been enjoying recently. I've included the Domino decorating book, because it's mostly pictures, but there are a lot of inspirational home decor and organizational ideas in there!


The above book by Norman Mailer was fantastically long, so I read it over a month about a chapter each night. If you liked In Cold Blood by Truman Capote, this will be similarly appealing, because it's another true crime book. However, it is incredibly well written as it explains the psychology of a murderer, along with the impact that his actions have on his entire community. It's riveting.

Julie and Julia was HILARIOUS. I grew up watching Julia Child on t.v. while my mum made dinner (or just watched). I own Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and highly recommend it as a great book for learning about French cooking techniques. Plus, she's sort of the Paula Deen of French food - and is LAVISH with the butter. But, Julie tries to cook the entire oeuvre in a year, in a tiny New York kitchen. She has such a great sense of humor and it's hysterical.



My all time favorite book is Pride and Prejudice. I love it and reread it every year. I'll even curl up with it more frequently when I'm having a bad day. A pot of tea, a few biscotti and P & P can fix pretty much any mood. Not to mention, it's pretty funny for being about 200 years old!



This is a sad book...I'm too hormonal and pregnant to read it right now, because it deals with illness and death among family members. It is beautifully written, and I'm looking forward to finishing it when I'm feeling like myself again.


So, have you read anything good lately? Any funny chick lit? I'm a big Marian Keyes fan, but I'm saving a couple of her books for my last month when I'm stuck at home with nothing to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment