Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Nanny Diaries

I was having breakfast this past Sunday with the lovely A and her ADORABLE son M, when the subject of child care came up. A is returning to work in a few months and searching for a nanny. Apparently, in LA, you expect your nanny/babysitter to do more than just be kind to your child, and not feed them a diet of pure sugar, nor allow them to watch 12 hours straight of soaps and talk shows. No no no! You want them to be fluent in a foreign language, committed to organic food and NO TV, and weirdest yet...elimination communication. Here is the link to the definition from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elimination_communication

Sweet Mother of God as my father would say! I have to say, if it works for some people, that's fantastic. But, more importantly, it makes me feel much more normal. Every time I start feeling a little paranoid or crazy, something like this happens to remind me that LA really allows room for all kinds of people. Thank goodness for that.

1 comment:

  1. Elimination Communication. Wow. I think I am going to stick to diapers.

    ReplyDelete